Thursday, March 30, 2006

My First Spinning Attempt

I finally had an opportunity to take a drop spindle class.

I purchased some rovings and a spindle last summer to start practicing spinning, and was never able to do it.
So I decided to take some classes to give me a motivation to enter this new world.

This white ball is my very first yarn:




I also worked on a roving that I bought long time ago. It is beautiful! It happens to be a one dyed by my teacher. What a coincidence!! It came out as super thick & thin, but that's fine for now (I hope...).

The second class was about carding, combing, 2ply, blocking and finishing. I carded two different rovings (blue & pink shade) together and made a fine yarn on the left. It was so smooth and easy to spin. I also tried to make 2ply yarn, second from the left.

The next right one was a wool dyed by my teacher. I carded this wool and made a yarn and plied into 2 ply, shown far right.




I also purchased a roving of wool, silk and mohair mix. I tried to spun, but it was very gentle and easy to break off, so I ended up making a super bulky yarn (shown as balls). Then, my teacher demonstrated how to spin this type of fragile roving, and made some fine, fantastic yarn (shown on the spindle).




Oh, what a differece! I just need more practice.

What a great class! I truly enjoyed this experience. Hopefully I can continue to work on some spinning!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Your spinning adventure sounds so much fun! Looks very difficult, though you will master with practice. Looking foward to see your progress and products. :)

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home